Parks and Recreation Regulations and Policies
- The City of Greenville maintains the rights to alter or end an event at any time it is determined necessary to protect the facility from damage; or to assure the safety and welfare of event participants, park visitors, or the surrounding community.
- User(s) violating the existing rules and regulations constituting a public nuisance or potential hazard to persons or property, or exhibiting disorderly conduct, shall be served notice by the staff and expelled from the facility.
- The City of Greenville reserves the right to inspect all areas of parks and park facilities during private and permitted events without restriction.
- Enclosure of any area or erection of any structures on park property is prohibited unless authorized by the Special Event Permit.
- Enclosure of any area, erection of any structures including tents, catering trucks, public address systems, amplified music and electronic musical instruments can only be used for public events with the issuance of a Special Event Permit. (link to permit page)
- Extra grills, cooking devices, Sternos and generators are prohibited in all city parks
- Alcohol and drugs are prohibited on public property unless authorized for a public event with a Special Event Permit.
- The renter is responsible for any damages to public property.
- The renter must be at least 21 years of age. Youth groups (18 & under) must be chaperoned by one adult per 10 youth.
- No park, recreational facility or its areas shall be used as a campsite. No sleepovers or all-night events.
- Fireworks and model rockets are prohibited in all City of Greenville parks. Bona fide firework displays proposed as part of an activity are exempt with written permission from the City Fire Marshall and a Special Event Permit.
- Smoke bombs, confetti, rice, birdseed, sparklers, Chinese lanterns and all other activities that would leave stains and/or trash in the park are prohibited.
- Admission charges, sales and other profit-making activities are prohibited. Conducting or soliciting of any business, trade, or occupation, including the sale of food, refreshments or merchandise, the taking of photographs and motion pictures for commercial use, and the instructing of classes or giving lessons at a charge to participants or for the purpose of promoting a commercial enterprise is prohibited unless proper permits have been obtained.
- Disposing of cremation ashes on public property is prohibited.
Policy for Dogs in Parks:
° Dogs must be on a leash, of no longer than 6 feet in length, at all times. The owner/handler is responsible for all actions of the dog while in the park or on the trail.
° The owner/handler is responsible for all clean-up and disposal of dog waste.
° Dogs are not permitted on athletic playing fields, playgrounds, or in any other area designated by signage.
° Service dogs are exempt from restrictions while performing their duties.
- Electricity is not provided at any outdoor space, and generators are prohibited.
- Alcohol and drugs are prohibited
- Reserved Area must be left clean and free of litter – this includes removal of all balloons
- Use of sidewalk chalk, confetti, and explosive devices (not limited to gender reveals and weddings) is prohibited
- No tents/structures may be erected
- Loud music/Public Address (PA) systems are prohibited
- Weddings may be held at Falls Park or Rock Quarry Garden only, with a signed contract
- Events open to the public may require a special event permit
- Vehicles are not allowed to drive/park on any grass area.
- The majority of picnic shelters do not have direct vehicular access from the parking lot.
- Extra grills, cooking devices, Sternos and generators are prohibited in all city parks
- Inflatables (bounce houses, etc.) are prohibited in city parks
- Camping is prohibited
- Food trucks for private events are prohibited.
The renter must be at least 21 years of age. Youth groups (18 & under) must be chaperoned by one adult per 10 youth. The renter is responsible for any damages to public property.
PAYMENTS AND REFUNDS:
Full payment is due when the reservation is made. A 30-day notice of cancellation is required to receive a 50% refund. Refunds will not be given for cancellations made less than 30-days prior to the event (even if the reservation was made during this time). All facilities are rain or shine. Refunds will not be given for inclement weather. Reservations are non-transferable.
It is your responsibility to inform your guests of prohibited items.
- Offensive and inappropriate language.
- Excessively loud music.
- Possession or use of illegal drugs, firearms, knives or any other weapon.
- Animals, except certified service dogs.
- Bounce playhouses or electrical rides.
- Smoking or vaping inside any City-owned facility. Smoking is only allowed in designated areas.
- Alcoholic beverages unless granted permission through a special event permit.
- Any illegal activity.
**Events or parties that are scheduled for ages 13 to 21 years are not allowed
No Commercial Activity
There shall be no fundraising activities, door charges or sale of any article for private gain. Fundraising events will be granted to non-profit groups only. Non-profit status is defined as any group holding a 501(C)3 tax exemption from the Internal Revenue Service.
Facilities will not be available for rental on major holidays: Christmas Eve/Day, New Year’s Eve/Day, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and Thanksgiving Day.
Set Up/Clean Up:
- Renter is responsible for set up/clean up related to the reservation.
- The facility must be cleaned and completed by the end of reservation time.
- All areas should be left in the condition in which they were found.
- Guidelines for clean-up is attached to the contract.
- Cleaning supplies, mops, brooms, trash bags are in the custodian closet that is available for use.
- All trash must be tied up and placed in the appropriate receptacle.
- Excessive trash incurring additional pickup charges will be billed to the individual or organization that signs the rental contract.
- The use of displays, banners, decorations or similar items is expressly limited to freestanding elements, tables, or easels. The attachment of displays, banners, decorations or similar items on walls, doors, windows, posts or any other surface is prohibited.
- Attachment of wire, rope, chain, or cable to any tree or shrub for the purpose of anchorage is prohibited. Hammocks, swings, etc. must be free-standing and not hung from or attached to park buildings or trees.
Designated parking is available on premises. No parking or driving vehicles on grass, walks, trails or service roads.
The rental of the indoor facility includes only that space and DOES NOT include the EXCLUSIVE use of the park or playground, bathrooms, parking lot, other facilities, etc. Other events may be taking place within the park at the same time of the reservations.
Staff will be scheduled to be on duty during facility reservations. Staff is not required to assist with event setups, serve at events, or clean up after events.
We recommend that you employ a professional caterer for your event if you are serving food. Make prior arrangements with your caterer to clean the kitchen and remove all food, trash, and rental equipment. Remember to ask how much time your caterer will need to set up and clean up so you can better estimate your rental time. All food must be pre-made prior to event. There is NO cooking allowed on site. Table coverings are required if you are serving food or beverages.
- Linens, paper supplies or kitchen supplies are not available for rental use.
- City staff is not responsible for articles, food or materials left at the conclusion of the event. These items will be disposed of at the discretion of the City.
- The City will not be responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Decorating and delivery of rental equipment may not begin prior to your reservation time. A separate rental time must be reserved and rental fee paid for set-ups required the day before a scheduled event. Early set up requests will be handled on an individual basis.
Renter shall be at least 21 years of age.
City of Greenville Parks & Recreation Department (864) 467-4355
Business Hours: 8 am – 5 pm Mon-Fri.
After business hours emergency:
Non-emergency number for Police Dept. (864) 271-5333
Emergency situations: Dial 911
Reservation and Fees: Reservations must be made 14 days prior to the day of the event. Reservations are non-transferable. Visit Registrations / Reservations to view information, check availability, make reservation requests and make payment. Administrative office can be reached at 864-467-4355.
Cancellation: A 30-day notice of cancellation is required to receive a 50% refund. Refunds will not be given for cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the event (even if the reservation was made during this time). Reservations are rain or shine. Refunds are not given for inclement weather.
Hours of Rental: Community Center rentals have a three-hour minimum. Hours may be added with an additional charge. Rental times may be scheduled between the hours of 8:00 am and 8:00 pm. All event details must be FINALIZED 14 days prior. NO ADDITIONAL TIME ALLOWANCE can be made to the rental contract. You may not access your rental early. You must pay for all time used.
Violations of rules:
- Person(s) violating the existing rules and regulations constituting a public nuisance or potential hazard to persons or property, or exhibiting disorderly conduct, shall be served notice by the staff and expelled from the facility. Such violations can be subject to prosecution in accordance with state and local laws and ordinances.
- Right to alter or end an event: City staff maintains the right to alter or end an event at any time it is determined necessary to protect the facility from damage; or to assure the safety and welfare of event participants, park visitors or the surrounding community.
- In the event a function is ended for cause, no refund will be issued.
Damage or altering the appearance of any portion of the facility or surrounding area will result in a damage fee. An inspection is conducted immediately after each rental. The person renting the facility is responsible for any damages and will be billed/invoiced for cost or replacement items.
A one month notice of cancellation is required to receive a 50% refund. Refunds will not be given for cancellations made less than one month prior to the event (even if the reservation was made during this time). All facilities are rain or shine. Refunds will not be given for inclement weather. Reservations are non-transferable.