The Citizens Academy is a free, eight-week community outreach program designed to provide citizens who live and work in the city a unique opportunity to learn more about the Greenville Police Department (GPD).
THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THE 2023 FALL SESSION HAS ENDED.
The academy features a classroom setting, with presentations by GPD personnel from multiple divisions, and a variety of learning experiences outside the classroom.
In addition to learning about the inner-workings of the department, participants also see what day-to-day life is like for officers and communications personnel by visiting the communications center and participating in a ride-along with an on-duty officer.
Upon graduation, participants have the opportunity to join the GPD Citizens Academy Alumni Association.
The Citizens Academy curriculum includes:
- GPD structure and operations
- Police training simulator
- Use of force
- Vice and narcotics
- Media relations
- Traffic stops
Citizens Academy Information
- Must be at least 21
- Must live and/or work in the city of Greenville (check your address here)
- Must attend a minimum of 7 of the 8 classroom sessions
Individuals are ineligible to participate if any of the following apply:
- Pending arrest or conviction for any offense
- Any felony arrest within the past 10 years
- Any misdemeanor arrest within the past 5 years
- Under investigation by any law enforcement agency
- Intentional deception on arrest record or failure to report an arrest in this application
- Denied employment by this agency and ineligible to reapply
- Terminated by this agency or resigned to avoid disciplinary action
- Previously rejected from the Citizens Academy due to failure to disclose arrest record or other untruthful information on application
- Does not possess a valid, government-issued identification
- Member of any organization or participates in any organization deemed by the Police Chief to be subversive to the department or the policing profession
- Is or has been party to a civil lawsuit against the City of Greenville, the Greenville Police Department, and/or any current employees of the City of Greenville
- Delinquent in the payment of court-mandated child support
- Appears unable to exhibit sound judgment
The Police Chief or his designee retains the right to allow or deny participation by anyone in this program at his/her discretion, with or without cause or explanation.